Parish Church, West Tarring
These three photographs
were taken during some previous repairs to the church fabric.
Click on a photograph to view a larger version.
"Each mosaic panel is approximately 11½ feet by 9 feet. In the centre stands an Apostle, 6 feet high, draped and carrying his conventional emblem: and on either side of the figure rises from its roots a graceful date palm, with characteristic fruit, and boughs made to bend inwards, so as to form an arch over the Apostle's glory-crowned head, in the upper portion appear stars at intervals; while across the lower, run bands or borders, more or less decorated, breaking up the space into convenient divisions for the introduction of the letters of the Apostle's name, the whole being surroundedby bright and variegated borders."
(Sussex Coast Mercury, August 15th, 1885)
1. The article Our Mosaics from the Parish Magazine for September 1895,
2. An article on the Mosaics Millenium Project, by Veronica Donkin, former chair of the PCC Mosaics Sub-committee, and
3. An interesting article in the 24 Hour Museum.
The following picture
depicts another mosaic which was not installed with the other
panels, and was initially considered for installation as a
Millenium Project. The proposal did not received general
approval, and no funds are available to carry out the work. Click
on the image for a larger version.
(With thanks to Dave Reynolds of
Southern Water for scanning a copy of the original drawing in
several sections and assembling the full picture.)
Please note: this material is copyright © 2006 Saint Andrew's Church, West Tarring, Parochial Church Council.
|Top of page||Church home page|
|Church Choir home page||Site home page|